2 Timothy 4:3 “For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.
- The Church In The West Stands On The Brink Of Destruction
- (Queensland, Australia) — “An open and professed disregard for religion has become the distinguishing character of the present age. Christianity is ridiculed and railed at with little reserve, and the teachers of it without any at all. There is no such thing as religion in England. If anyone speaks about religion, everybody begins to laugh. It has come to be taken for granted that Christianity is no longer a subject of inquiry, but that it is now at length discovered to be fictitious. Accordingly, it is treated as if, in the present age, this were an agreed point among all persons of discernment, and nothing remained but to set it up as a principal subject for mirth and ridicule.”
- Many might assume that the above comments were recently written in a left-leaning newspaper. Wrong. They were made in 1730’s England. Various Christian heresies were fashionable among the upper classes at the time.
- However, a 2022 survey by Ligonier Ministries and LifeWay Research found that many American evangelical Christians now hold a concerning set of beliefs. For example, 38% considered that religious belief was a matter of personal opinion and not about objective truth.
- Among the evangelical pastors surveyed 39% considered that there is no absolute moral truth and that each individual must determine his/her own truth
- 37% said that having faith in general is more important than the question of in what or in whom that faith is placed
- 30% did not agree that their salvation was based only on having accepted, by faith, Jesus Christ as their Savior!
- From these surveys it is clear that the Church in the West stands once again on the brink of destruction – not from without, but from within. We have now reached the stage where Christianity in the UK and much of the West is once again a laughing stock, as it was in 1730s England.
- If God were to abandon the West how could we complain, given that we have contemptuously pushed Him away so often, so publicly and so shamelessly?
Read the original article by clicking here.